A place for my scribbles...poems, songs, stories, musings and ramblings.

A place for my scribbles...poems, songs, stories, musings and ramblings.

Friday, May 30, 2014

Living In Hope

















Living at The AstraZeneca Hope Lodge is like nothing I have ever experienced.  It's the most interesting mix of people; all ages, colors, accents, but all with one thing in common: cancer.  And there are many types of cancer here, all types of treatments, people in many different stages and conditions, and a lot of stories. There is a lot of sadness here, but also a lot of resolve and strength, and a lot of hope.

The first person we struck a connection with was a much older guy, here as caretaker to his wife, who we never met because she never left her room.  She was on a breathing machine and a feeding tube.  They had been here a while when we met him and they left a few days after we arrived.  But, his advice to us was to talk to people, get their stories and take hope from them.  He said to find hope in every story, even the seemingly unhappy ones.  That's the hardest part for me.  When I see the pain in the eyes of the guy dealing with two different types of cancer at once, or hear the lady with half a tongue answer the question of how are you doing with "They are burning me," or hear the sweet little woman talk about beating cancer 12 years ago just to have it come back as radiation induced cancer, it is hard for me to find a lot of hope.  But, I have to remember that each one of them is here, doing what it takes to live.  They have hope in the midst of the suffering.  Right now, Scott doesn't even seem sick.  He has some pain and fatigue, but overall he appears healthy.  I think it helps him to realize how fortunate he is compared to others, but also shows him that no matter how bad things get for people, they continue to fight and hope and he can gain strength and hope from that himself.  Hope is where the heart is.

The place itself is wonderful.  Very comfortable and homey.  So far we've spent a lot of time in our suite, which is very nice and comfy, but there are a lot of areas to hang out when the walls start closing in. Morning news and coffee out in the shared living room is becoming routine.  I think my neighbors are getting used to seeing me in my jammies and fuzzy slippers getting coffee in the mornings.


Cooking meals in the shared kitchen is kind of weird, but kind of cool too. There are 4 kitchens, each one with 2 stoves, 2 microwaves, 3 sinks, lots of cabinets, 2 refrigerators and a large freezer.  Each room has an assigned shelf in the fridge and freezer, and a cabinet for food.
Eating in the large communal dining room is social time.  One night a guy played harp.  One night volunteers came in and cooked Italian food for everyone.  And Scott has even played a little guitar down there while I cooked a few evenings.

They have movie night in the theater room once a week.  There is a library with a fire place, an art room, a game room, and a lovely little garden area that will be nice when it warms up.

Today I found myself a great little quiet space while Scott naps.






I haven't had much opportunity to explore Boston yet.  It's been cold and rainy much of the week.  And the trips to and from treatment take a good chunk of the day.  I am doing my best to avoid driving and parking downtown, so we are taking various forms of transportation each day.  The Hope Lodge provides a free shuttle to treatments, so we've been taking it to the hospital each morning.  That ride is a trip!  I'm very thankful that I'm not drinking here because if I was even the slightest bit hungover in the morning I would definitely hurl all over the van.  Since right now Scott is still one of the visibly healthier people here, we usually volunteer to crawl all the way into the back seat of the van so the ride is rougher, kind of like being in the back seat on a roller-coaster.  The roads from here into town are very narrow and hilly.  We've been catching either the 8 or 9 o'clock shuttle so traffic is pretty heavy heading into downtown.  The driver, Cheresa (like Teresa but with a K) drives that bus like she is driving a little sports car.  She takes curves so tight and so fast, and forces her way into traffic, I just hold on and hope we make it.

Three of the days this week we weren't able to catch her for the return trip, so we took the train.  Riding the "T" is an interesting experience too. The first day I felt like such an idiot trying to figure it out...had to ask for help 3 times.  I'm sure I'll be a pro before this is all over.



We found out this week that after his surgery in August, Scott will have to come back for another round of radiation in September.  We are very hopeful that he/we will be able to get back in here at that time.  This is THE place to be, living in HOPE.

No comments:

Post a Comment